Hey there foodies! Are you craving some classic American comfort food that’s quick, easy, and delicious? Look no further than my American Chop Suey recipe.
This one-pan wonder combines saucy ground beef, tender macaroni, and flavorful seasonings for a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any day of the week.
In this article, I’ll be sharing my recipe and some helpful tips and alternatives to make this dish your own. Let’s get cooking!
Tips and Tricks For This American Chop Suey Recipe
Tip 1: Customize the Seasonings
If you want to put your own spin on this recipe, feel free to experiment with different seasonings. You can swap out the oregano and basil for your favorite herbs, or add some heat with a pinch of cayenne pepper. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make this dish your own.
Tip 2: Add Some Veggies
Want to up the nutritional value of this dish? Try adding some veggies to the mix. Chopped bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms would all be delicious additions. Simply sauté the veggies with the ground beef and onion for a few minutes before adding the tomato sauce and seasonings.
Tip 3: Top with Cheese
For an extra burst of flavor, top your American Chop Suey with shredded cheddar cheese. The cheesy goodness pairs perfectly with the saucy beef and macaroni. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, like Parmesan or mozzarella.
Alternative for Crushed Tomatoes
If you don’t have crushed tomatoes on hand, don’t worry. You can substitute with a can of diced tomatoes or even tomato sauce. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the sauce may be slightly different.
Alternative for Ground Beef
If you’re not a fan of ground beef, you can use ground turkey, chicken, or even plant-based crumbles instead. Just be aware that the flavor and texture of the dish may be different.
Alternative for Elbow Macaroni
If you don’t have elbow macaroni in your pantry, you can use any short pasta shape instead, like penne or fusilli. You can even use whole wheat or gluten-free pasta if you prefer. Just adjust the cooking time according to the package instructions.
American Chop Suey Recipe
- Large skillet or sauté pan
- Large pot for boiling water
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Knife and cutting board (for optional onion and garlic)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 1 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups water
- Shredded cheddar cheese optional, for serving
- In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef until browned and cooked through, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks.
- If using, add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the macaroni according to the package instructions in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain the macaroni in a colander and set aside.
- Add the water and cooked macaroni to the skillet with the beef and sauce, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the macaroni is tender and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve the American Chop Suey hot, topped with shredded cheddar cheese if desired. Enjoy!