The banana adds a subtle sweetness to the grits that pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the butter and salt. It’s a unique and unexpected twist on a classic dish, and I think you’re going to love it.
I like to serve these banana grits as a side dish, but they would also be delicious as a breakfast or brunch option. You could top them with a fried egg and a slice of bacon for a hearty and satisfying meal.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it’s so easy to make. It only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, so it’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or a last-minute brunch option.
Here are a few notes to keep in mind when making this recipe:
- If you don’t have quick-cooking grits on hand, you can use regular grits, but they will take longer to cook (up to 30 minutes).
- You can use any type of milk in this recipe, including dairy-free options like almond milk or coconut milk.
- If you prefer a thicker consistency for your grits, you can add a little extra milk or water to the pan to thin them out.
- You can adjust the amount of butter and salt to your preference. I like to use a full 2 tablespoons of butter for a rich and creamy texture, but you can use less if you prefer.
- If you want to add some extra flavor to your grits, you can try adding a sprinkle of your favorite herbs or spices, like chopped chives or a pinch of paprika.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! I think you’re going to love the unique and delicious flavors of these banana grits.
Banana Grits Recipe
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or spoon for stirring
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 banana mashed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- Bring the water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually add the grits to the boiling liquid, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the grits, stirring frequently, until they are thick and creamy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the mashed banana, butter, and salt to taste.
- Serve the grits hot, topped with a sprinkle of chopped nuts or a drizzle of honey, if desired. Enjoy!